Click to Home
Go To Search
San Jose Home
Filming/Photography Permit Information
Thank you for your interest in filming in San Jose. The City of San Jose has several ideal points of interest as film/photography locations including:

San Jose City Hall:

City Hall is an architecturally modern building located in the downtown area and designed by Richard Meier, designer of the Getty Center in Los Angeles. City Hall consists of a 110-foot glass Rotunda with an abundance of natural light and is a popular professional filming location in San Jose.

For filming or photography information and permits at City Hall, please contact the Public Works, Event Services staff at 408/535-1248 or visit the website.

San Jose Parks & Community Centers:

There are many beautiful areas in San Jose Parks and Community Centers that are perfect for film and photography.

For filming or photography in any park or community center in San Jose, please contact the Special Park Use staff with Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Services Department at 408/794-6500 or visit the website. The Photo Permit section of this page will provide more details for starting the permit process.

Public Ways (City streets, sidewalks, paseos, etc.):

The Office of Cultural Affairs serves as the central point of contact for film and photography activities that require the use of public areas including sidewalks, streets and downtown paseos. This Office also permits film and photography activities on private property and provides oversight to film producers for community outreach.

Film and photography activities held in public ways are permitted in the same manner as public events held in the public ways. For additional information, please contact the Office of Cultural Affairs is 408/793-4344 or visit the Office of Cultural Affairs website. For estimated fees, please see the city costs page.

Insurance Requirements:

Prior to commencing any filming or photography activity on public property including parks, City Hall, streets, sidewalks, paseos, etc.), production companies must provide to the City of San Jose’s Office of Risk Management a valid Certificate of Insurance showing the following:
  • Commercial General Liability: minimum $1,000,000 combined single limit per occurrence for bodily injury and property damage including products and completed operations.
  • Automobile Liability: minimum $1,000,000 combined single limit per accident for bodily injury and property damage for all owned, hired or non-owned vehicles.
  • Workers’ Compensation and Employers’ Liability: limit of not less than $100,000 per accident as required by the Labor Code of the State of California.
  • Commercial General Liability Certificate must be accompanied by the following endorsements:

Ten (10) day Notice of Cancellation or changes of coverage shall be given to the City of San Jose.

The insurance is primary insurance as respects the City, its officials, employees, agents and contractors. Any other insurance the City may have shall be considered excess insurance only.

Coverage shall state that the production company’s insurance shall apply separately to each insured against whom claim is made or suit is brought, except with respect to the limits of the insurer's liability.

Coverage shall be endorsed to show City of San Jose, its officers, employees, agents and contractors must be listed as "Additional Insured."

Verification of Insurance coverage should be sent to:

City of San Jose 
Risk Management
200 East Santa Clara, 14th Floor
San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: 408-975-1438 

Team San Jose Film Office:

The San Jose Film Office with Team San Jose may serve as a resource to help you with your crews, site locations (e.g. Convention & Cultural Center, San Jose Airport, etc.) hotel accommodations and union jurisdictions. For more information visit the Team San Jose website.

Check with the film office for more details and other locations perfect for your film needs. You may submit the Film Office Inquiry Form HERE